in 2015 at 60 percent, 62 percent in 2016, and 66 percent in
2017. That stat’s recent high was 72 percent in 2014.
Most of the comments from our sales group indicate they
should be compensated more. Here’s a collection of what
this group has to say:
• “I believe that compensation for similar companies is
greater than what I currently make.”
• “My company frequently makes changes to the bonus
metrics a couple of times a year to reduce or limit total
• “For a director level, I feel I am under-compensated.”
• “I have seen men promoted over me and I am not given
a realistic opportunity to improve my salary.”
• “The entire team is overworked and we do not have
the budget to hire more outside people, which will
generate more sales time within a two year cycle time.
• “The areas I am trained in and my responsibilities are
greater than my compensation and as a result, I do the
job of a higher position and paid for the lowest, so
• “Only manager (covering both inside and outside sales)
during a fiscal year in which our branch has set local
records. No raise or incentives given. When I asked for
additional compensation for performing both
managerial jobs, I was told that ‘we don’t give raises to
• “The only raise I’ve received in the past five years was
because I got an offer from a rival company. No bonuses
or rewards for putting forth extra efforts.”
• “Younger new starts are starting closer to where I am
now after 30 years.”
Industrial Distribution’s first print issue of the year will
highlight industrial distributors that are worth paying
attention to due to recent growth, innovation, or for
simply being a well-run company. This 8th annual Watch
List features small or mid-size distributors—ones too small
for our well-known Big 50 List.
Email Industrial Distribution editor Daniel Seeger at
Daniel.Seeger@advantagebizmarketing.com or go online
at learn.inddist.com/watchlist. Deadline to nominate a
company is January 14, 2019.
2019 Watch List
Average current salary, in U.S.
dollars per year
What percentage of your job do you
In the past year, have the demands
of your job…
Do you feel fairly compensated?
19% Less than 20 percent